Tuesday, April 3, 2012

"Spoonie" Small Print from butyoudon'tlooksick

I agree with this article...it fits my life perfectly! What about you?

 The “spoonie” Small Print



Batteries not included. Shipping and handling extra. Minimum purchase required. Small print is everywhere and on just about everything. I come with a Spoonie version of small print: if I feel up to it. Whenever I make plans, I always have to add “if I feel up to it.”
I never know how I will feel from day to day; what illness will be flaring or what body part will be hurting. If I don’t add it, my friends or family will add it. It’s been going on for so long that it’s become an unspoken disclaimer. It’s understood by all involved that I might have to cancel any and all plans, or adapt them, because of what my body is doing that particular day.
Sometimes the small print feels like a ball and chain around my ankle—I can’t go anywhere without my supply of medications, pain relievers, and anything else I would need to nurse my body. I walk slowly to accommodate my body. Other times it is merely a piece of toilet paper stuck to my shoe—a minor annoyance that I just can’t seem to get rid of.
The ball and chain feeling sometimes makes me cautious about making plans at all. Why get excited about something that I might have to cancel? With the toilet paper stuck to my shoe, I am more optimistic as I go about my activities even thought I may still have a bottle of meds on hand. I need to be cautious, however: overexertion can rapidly lead to spoon loss. I may not like my small Spoonie print, but it is there. That’s how I come. There are no refunds or exchanges, and restrictions usually apply. I must abide by the small print. But wait, there’s more! Once I respect the small print and understand it, I can learn to live with it and make my life as satisfactory as possible. Guaranteed.

Article written by staff writer, Sonja K. Peterson Sonja is a cat mom with endometriosis and fibromyalgia. She also had a hysterectomy for adenomyosis. She blogs about her experiences at The Mud and the Lotus www.mudandlotus.com. Follow her on Twitter @sonjathegreat.
©2010 butyoudontlooksick.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and feelings. We all benefit from hearing from you.

Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12, 2013

Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12, 2013
Let us all be VISIBLE! May 12, 2013

Akemi Collection by Darla